Problems with rent or mortgage arrears are often caused by or made worse by problems with benefits. Details of organisations that can help you to sort out your benefits are included on this website at the “getting advice” link in the list to the left.
It can be difficult for people to get the benefits they are entitled to because there are so many different types of benefit, the system is complicated and things are always changing.
The types of problems you might need help with include:
- Whether you are receiving the right benefit
- Delays in payment of benefit
- Reductions in your benefit due to the recovery of an overpayment
- Reductions in your benefit due to a sanction or penalty
- Shortfalls in your benefit because your rent or mortgage is too high
In some cases the court can give you more time to sort out your benefits.